- Dryness- Moisture just would not stay in my hair. After completely soaking my hair, it would be dry again in about 20 minutes.
- Breakage- I believe the breakage was due to dryness but, I’m not sure. I became lazy with my hair because nothing seemed to work to get it to act right. So, I would leave my hair in buns for days. My ends were breaking off terribly (in little 1/4 inch pieces) and I had small curls all over my shoulders and sink.
- Tangles- My ends were always tangled.
Here is how I fixed the problems and what I had to change:
- Conditioner washing: I use Giovanni Smooth as Silk as my co-washing conditioner and co-wash every 1-2 days.
- Shampoo: I still shampoo once a week with my DIY shampoo bars, I followed up with a apple cider vinegar rinse. (1 tablsespoon of ACV to 1 cup of water)
- Sealing: I stopped sealing my hair with oils/butters. Since I co-wash, I try to not to coat my hair, which allows me to get moisture into my hair easily without having to shampoo off any buildup.
- Detangling: I detangle only the ends of my hair with my Denman brush. While in the shower, I detangle the ends and then finger detangle the full length of my hair under the showerhead.
- Co-washing: Keeping the right amount of moisture in my hair has reduced the breakage significantly. It’s almost back to normal, I do need a trim which I think will fix any other weak ends.
- Tangles: The frequent co-washing has reduced the tangles. I think this is due to the conditioner and how it clumps my curls together which keeps them from tangling together.