Content from MedicalNewsToday and FEMINA
In the world of all things hair, there seems to be a huge discrepancy where eggs are concerned. Those who experience dry damaged hair, tend to look for a way out, the natural remedy of using eggs normally comes to mind.
Eggs are commonly known to strengthen the hair, stop breakage, make the soft, shiny and thick! First hand, many of us have experienced these benefits while at the same time, some have not. Some state that egg does nothing for their hair, it just coats their strands and never stops the breakage, in comparison to store bought conditioners. At the same one, one must remember that everyone’s hair is different!
Throughout my journey, I’ve come across information which allows me to believe that there are 2 distinct sides to this whole matter. Here are the most common arguments for and against egg as a treatment for hair:
Arguments For Egg:
– Contains a lot of protein and conditions the hair
– Strengthens the hair
– Increases thickness
– It’s natural
– Rich in Vitamin A, D and E (vitamin A helps in the production of sebum which works to cure dandruff, vitamin E helps increase the absorption of oxygen and vitamin D helps promote hair growth)
– The yolk makes the hair glossy/shiny
Arguments Against Egg:
– It’s meant to go in us, not on us.
– Doesn’t contain hydrolyzed or quanternized proteins (small enough to penetrate hair, less than 2500MW).
– Egg protein molecules are too large to repair/change/penetrate the hair.
– Doesn’t change the condition of the hair – just coats the hair strand.
– natural/unprocessed proteins have a negative charge, hair has a negative charge as well, therefore there’s no natural attraction to adhere to the hair.
– No lasting effect.
Is the source of the protein not as important as the size of the protein particle and its ability to enter and remain inside the hair shaft?
What side are you on?
I’m on the “nawl man” side of the egg debate. It doesn’t penetrate and it just coats the hair? I’d rather eat the egg and save the mess for breakfast. How about you? Yay or nay on the eggs?
For More info, Watch this video (Kinda Humorous) by Lynda Jay on: Super Defined Twistout with Eggs: 4c Natural HairThe post Myth Busters- Are Eggs Really Beneficial To Hair Care? first appeared on Demetrion Ware.